How to Unlock iPhoneiPhone 3G Unlock | iPhone 3GS Unlock | iPhone 4 Unlock
This method is developed by George Hotz, as you can see in his blog. You can send him a donation by paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Works on any phone that shown this image first time you started it (meaning it had 1.1.2/3 and bootloader 4.6). If your phone had a picture of the earth when you started it first time, follow instructions here instead. If you have questions, ask them in the Hackint0sh forum.
Step 1: Install 1.1.1 firmware
Even though the unlock script can be installed from any firmware, i strongly recommend you to run it from 1.1.1. If you want to install it from any other firmware, just skip to Step 3.
To get 1.1.1 firmware installed, you must get the phone enter recovery mode. Here's how:
- Connect the phone to the computer and press and hold the Power button (on top) and the Home button (on bottom front) simultaneously.
- After about 15 seconds phone will appear to turn off, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
- After about 15 seconds the computer and iTunes will detect the phone in recovery mode.
- Download the following two files to your computer if you havent alread: 1.1.1 firmware and 1.1.2 firmware
- Hold down SHIFT key (Windows) or Option/ALT-key (Mac) when clicking the Restore button in iTunes, and it will let you choose firmware file. Select the 1.1.1 firmware file you downloaded in previous step.
- iTunes will give give a 1015 error, and you phone will get stuck in recovery mode.
- To get it into normal mode, Windows user can run AppTapInstaller.exe (select 1.0.2 firmware), or iBrickr, while Mac users can use iNdependence. In all cases, close/eject iPhone from iTunes before running these applications, and as soon as your phone have rebooted in normal mode you can close the applications and ignore any errors. If you are downgrading from 1.1.3 you might have problems getting it started in normal mode. The solution is simple, just restore your phone to 1.1.1 again, and this time it will work
- Now your phone should be at the activation screen. How to unlock iphone 3G 4.2 firmware - jailbreak and unlock iphone 3g 4.2
Step 2: Jailbreak iPhone 3G and activate
- Make sure you have a SIM-card with PIN turned off (the supplied AT&T card works fine).
- On the activation screen, slide for emergency and dial: *#301# to make the phone call itself. (If the incoming call dialog quickly disappears but it keeps ringing, just dial 0 (remove *#301# first), and it will call itself)
- Answer the call, and tap on Hold
- Phone will call it self again, tap Decline. You will now be returned to the normal dialer.
- Tap on contacts, and tap the + icon to add a new. The only info you are going to add to this contact are two URL's. To add a URL, tap Add new URL. The first URL is prefs followed by a colon: prefs: and the second is i.unlock.no. Tap Save.
- Your contact now has two "web pages" - tap on the first one (prefs:). This will take you to the settings dialog. The reason you want this, is because you need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, so tap on Wi-Fi, and get connected to a network, and make sure the icon on top of the screen is indicating that you are connected. While you are in the settings dialog, you should also set: General → Auto-Lock → Never.
- Now, press the home button, and again, slide for emergency dial 0, Answer the call, Hold and Decline the new call so that you get to the contacts. Tap on your contact (No Name), and this time tap on the other home page, i.unlock.no
- Safari will launch and show you a webpage. Tap on Tap here to jailbreak your iPhone
- Phone will return to activation screen and after a few seconds the phone should restart.
- If the phone does not restart after waiting a full minute, please make sure that you have your phone connected to the computer and try again.
- When the phone starts again, it should no longer say slide for emergency, but rather Slide to unlock It means it was successfull! Activation is now bypassed, and phone prepared for software installation! (If you are going to use an AT&T SIM, you won't need to do the next step.)
Step 3: Performing the unlock
Add http://i.unlock.no/ to Installer sources if you didn't follow this tutorial.
- Tap on the Installer icon, and wait for it to refresh the sources
- Tap on Install at the bottom
- Scroll down to Unlocking Tools and install 1.1.2/1.1.3 OTB Unlock
- The process will take a few minutes, before you get a message that it completed successfully
Step 4: Upgrade to 1.1.2
Even though the phone is already unlocked, it will not get a signal. To fix this upgrade to 1.1.2:
- Open iTunes again and hold down the SHIFT key (Windows) or Option/ALT-key (Mac) on your keyboard while clicking on the Upgrade button (not the restore button!). A file browsing dialog should appear, and you must select the 1.1.2 firmware file you downloaded previously.
- While the phone is upgrading, download the 1.1.2 jailbreak archive and extract the files to your computer.
- If you don't already have Java on your computer, you need to download and install Java runtime first. If you are unsure, check the jailbreak.jar file in the archive you extracted previously - it should have an icon with a coffee cup
- If you previously had 1.1.3 on the phone, iTunes will fail again with error 1015 and the phone only shows a picture of a cable. If not, the phone will boot to the activation screen with "slide for emergency" text.
- Now you need to launch the jailbreak java application on your computer. Windows users double click on the windows.bat file, while Mac users can double click on jailbreak.jar file.
- An application window should appear, with "Boot from recovery" and "Jailbreak" buttons. If you got an error in iTunes like explained above you need to click the "Boot from recovery" button first. When the phone shows the picture of a cable and "Slide for emergency" text, click on the "Jailbreak" button and wait while it's jailbreaking. This will take a few minutes, and your phone will restart a few times at the end.
- Your phone should now show "Slide to unlock" instead of emergency. If it does, everything was successfull.
Step 5: Finishing the unlock
Now your phone will accept any SIM-card and you will get signal. Congratulations!
But if you are using your phone in a forreign country, the Phone/SMS application will just crash.
Open Installer and install iWorld found in the Tweaks 1.1.2 category. Start iWorld and select your country and it will fix the crashing problem.
If you want to upgrade to 1.1.3, there's a package called Official 1.1.3 Upgrader located in the System category. Installing it will upgrade your phone to a jailbroken 1.1.3. Be aware that it will take some time (25-40 minutes).
If you have questions, ask them in the Hackint0sh forum.